Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Getting back and Tuna Salad

Well, I fell off the real-food bandwagon.  Actually, that's not true.  I got off the bandwagon at the stop marked convenience and chocolate.

If you live in suburbia and work full time and try to eat and feed your family a clean, real-food diet, there's no time to stop planning and preparing.  If you don't cook you don't eat.  Or you end up eating S.Y.C.E (somthing you can eat) rather than real food.  I got tired of planning and preparing after our long stent with some nasty respiratory infection and went to Chic-Fil-A, had pizza, cake, ice cream... I gave up.

The good news is, I'm back.  The bad news is, my body hurts.  I guess that's good news too in a way.  At least now I know for sure all that yummy stuff I can eat is actually causing me physical pain.  It's not just a coincidence that within hours of eating all that junk my hands were swollen and my belly felt like a volcano about to erupt.  The next morning my body felt like I had been hit by a truck.  And after a week of eating like that I now have worse pain in my arthritic left knee.

So bye bye sugar, processed food and flours and hello planning, preparation, meat and veggies!  It's Whole30 time round 2.

To get back on track I've been eating dates like crazy today, trying to ward off my craving for the leftover chocolate birthday cake in my fridge.  Dates + almond butter= God's Snickers Bar.

Tonight we had Tuna Salad with homemade mayo on a bed of cole slaw.  It's one of our favorite quick meals.     Even the kids like this one:



One can albacore tuna
3 T. homemade mayo
1/2 ripe avocado
plate full of cole slaw mixed with homemade mayo and your favorite spices

Mix a bag of pre-made cole slaw mix (get it from the bagged salad section in the supermarket) or 6 cups of shredded cabbage and carrots with about 1/2 c. of homemade mayo.  I added an additional tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, celery seed, paprika and salt and pepper to the slaw and mixed well.

Drain canned tuna of all water.  Mix well with 3 T. of homemade mayo.  Add in diced sweet onion and tomatoes if you like (I like, but my husband prefers just tuna please).  Place a half of a ripened avocado (with the seed removed) on the bed of cole slaw.  Scoop a large spoonful or ice cream scoop full of tuna salad mixture into the avocado.  Sprinkle with pepper or paprika or chopped cilantro and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment