Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sweet Potato Salad

Some things just don't have priority right now... this blog is one of them. But since I've fled the house of wrestling boys for a few minutes of quiet in the garage while the chicken for the week is cooking, I thought I'd share this yummy sweet potato salad I came up with a couple weeks ago. 

Sweet potatoes. You either love 'em or hate 'em.  I love 'em!  Whatever you'd use a potato to make you can make a more flavorful (and healthier) version of with sweet potatoes.  Granted, they are sweet.  So if you don't want sweet, you don't want sweet potatoes.  I have absolutely nothing against sweet!

Potato salad (home made) is one of my favorite comfort foods.  And, like iced tea, if it's not made well, it can be disgusting.  The stuff you buy in the store they call potato salad I call yuck.  The homemade potato salad that my grandmother makes is so good you can't wait for the potatoes to cool down to eat it!  That's how I feel about this sweet potato salad.



Sweet Potato Salad

1/2 package of uncured hickory smoked bacon cooked till crispy and coarsely chopped
6 medium sized sweet potatoes washed and diced into about 1 inch chunks, skin on
4 boiled eggs
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 sweet onion chopped finely
2 T. mustard
1/2 c. paleo mayo (or your favorite mayo if you could care less about paleo)


Boil the sweet potatoes in salted water until cooked through but not mushy... about 15 minutes.  Drain and set aside in large mixing bowl.  Chop 4 cooled hard boiled eggs and add to mixing bowl.  Add crispy, chopped bacon and onion to mixing bowl.  Add celery seed, celery salt, mustard and mayo.  Mix with large spoon until well mixed.  Refrigerate, or if you just can't stand it like me, serve up a bowl and eat it warm!

Enjoy!

Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment