Monday, February 25, 2013

Simple {Paleofied} Pumpkin Bread





Ugh.  I don't feel too good.  But this virus-nasty-cough-thing didn't stop me from making pumpkin bread Saturday afternoon.

I'm new at playing around with grain-free ingredients to come up with baked goods.  Up until now I've basically picked a gluten-free recipe and substituted the GF flour with almond meal.  But for this recipe I browsed four or five different versions of the recipe I was looking for and got a general idea of how many eggs, how much flour, how much leavening, etc. should go in it.  I ended up finding this WONDERFUL series on the science and art of Paleofying.

Up until reading that lady's very helpful series of posts I had never heard the term Paleofy and I didn't know it was a derogatory term at that.  Apparently the real "righteous" Paleo-eaters don't qualify grainlessly baked goods as Paleo.  In their eye those goodies are just glorified, or Paleofied junk food.  Maybe so, but until eating pumpkin bread with almond meal, real pumpkin, coconut milk, eggs, spices and honey makes me sick, I'm still going to call it a real good treat that isn't a cheat.  As far as I know, there are masses of evidence that conventional wheat, sugar and other things whipped together to make the cookies, cakes and quick bread we all crave are bad for us.  But there are no such bodies of evidence for cookies, cakes and quick breads made with grainless, real food ingredients. I'm not really big on the paleofied label, but if you want to call it paleofied pumpkin bread that's fine with me.  I'm still calling it good and real.

Ok.  So this recipe is thanks to looking at this, this, this and this (all look delish!) and guessing at what was best to substitute with.

Wet Ingredients:

1- 15 oz. can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. coconut oil
1/2 c. coconut milk

Dry Ingredients:

1 c. almond meal
1 c. coconut flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. salt
1 1/4 t. baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.  Mix wet ingredients in another bowl.  Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir until well blended.  The texture will be a thick batter you will spread more than pour into two bread pans which have been greased with coconut oil.  Pans should be about 1/3 full.  Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.

This is a very moist, simple, feel-good bread.  I love it for breakfast along side my frittata.  I love it for lunch after my left over pulled pork and cole slaw.  I love it for an after work snack.  I think you get the picture. I love this simple, moist pumpkin bread.  I'm sure you could take it up a notch or 5 from simple to decadent if you added in some of your favorite chocolate, coconut flakes, nuts, fruits, etc.

Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment